Updated: Oct 27 16
Created: Mar 02 16
- 1½ lbs [690 gr] boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1½-inch strips
- ½ cup [125 ml] buttermilk, (or 2 eggs, whisked until frothy)
- 6 – 8 Tbsp [90 - 120 ml] oil *depends on size of frypan
- ¼ cup [60 ml] toasted sesame seeds
- 1 pkg [60 g] Fish Fry/Onion Ring mix
- 2 tsp [10 ml] Herb & Garlic Rub
- Turn oven to 350°F [180°C]
- Dip chicken pieces in egg; then coat both sides with Coating blend.
- In a sauté pan over medium-high, heat oil.
- Saute coated chicken pieces, about 2 minutes per side or until partly cooked through. Remove to roasting dish and finish cooking in oven 12 - 20 minutes, depending on size of pieces. *Don’t overcook.
Heat in a small saucepan:
- 1 Tbsp [15 ml] olive oil
Add and sauté:
- 4 garlic cloves, minced *or 2 tsp [10 ml] Garlic Gourmet Spice Blend
- 2 Tbsp [30 ml] grated ginger root
Meanwhile stir together in a small bowl:
- ¼ cup [60 ml] low sodium soy sauce *or Tamari
- 2 to 4 tsp [10 to 20 ml] Spice Fusion mix
- 2 Tbsp [30 ml] honey *or Maple Syrup
- ¼ cup [60 ml] orange juice
- ½ cup [125 ml] water
- 1 Tbsp [15 ml] sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp [15 ml] molasses, or maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp [15 ml] tapioca starch
Stir this mixture into the sautéed garlic & ginger.
Cook 1 minute, until slightly thickened.
Pour over chicken. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seed.
Finish in oven 10 minutes.
Hints from Cate
Instead of buttermilk or egg, stir 1 Tbsp [15 ml] vinegar into ½ cup [125 ml] coconut milk.
Egg-free/Dairy-free baking: See our Substitutions for Allergies & Sensitivities page